Monday, February 15, 2010

Kord of La Dies

Today was 'the Lord of the Flies' After reading Dharma Bums during a walk on the beach, Rose and I spotted monkeys, a kingfisher bird, and a pig struggling to stay afloat where the river meets the ocean. We watched until a small woman tried to cross the current to help. I climbed down from the lashed bridge and got to the pig. The shells were very sharp under my feet and I was being careful not to be cut by the hooves of the boar as she struggled out of fright from my presence. I took my rosary off and gave it to Rose, my shirt also which I wrapped around the torso of the beast. The small woman went to get help from some locals who, after time, came out in their dugout canoe to help with the rescue. It was an amazing feeling in my chest to have lifted, with much of my strength, that beast from the water, first resting its chest on the edge of the boat then wrapping my arm around its backside and rearing it onto the boat. She didn't move much on the ride to shore but once I swore she outstretched her muzzle toward the water to drown herself. We were quickly at shore where I likewise lifted her from the boat to shore and dragged her a short distance. She was dead before I let go. The following few minutes we watched a convulsing pig spit blog from its nostrils. She looked diseased with a large quarter-sized rotting hole in the back of her hind leg. I am glad my finger had not slipped in there as I had lifter her from the water.
As we walked back to the hut I thought it funny that people were lazily strolling the sands and I had just pulled a dying pig from the ocean only to watch squirts of blood and sea water leave its face. I laughed at the question we had been asked by a quiet, friendly couple before we left for our walk ' want some chai? '

4 comments:

  1. Well ... I never would have guessed this would be one of your stories shared!!!.... yet the theme of helping does not surprise me in the least. Glad to hear THE ROSARY BEADS where near by. Thanks for helping out when you least expected!! Loads of Love and Prayers! Margo

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way... THANKS for doing this BLOG thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And... it's not 5:05 am it's 8:05 am here on the Maine coast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that sounded intense. Too bad the pig wasn't healthy but at least it saw some kindness before it died. Just another day in India, huh? Would love to see those monkeys! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete